May 1, 2013

A Day In Buenos Aires

It's been over a month since I'm in Buenos Aires. Some days have been quite eventful, while others, not so much! And I'm OK with that. I guess it's a sign that I've passed the tourist stage; I'm starting to know my way around (although this website has been awesome!), I understand what is being said to me in castellano, most of the time! I fell in love with dulce de leche and had my fair share of vino tinto. And leaving my apartment at 2 o'clock in the morning to join some friends at a milonga sounds perfectly normal to me now!

But what is my impression of Buenos Aires?

Because I was asked the question by porteñosand I stumbled through my answer. Well, the first words that comes to mind when I think of describing Buenos Aires is 'organised chaos'. Things that should be straightforward -like getting the oven to work or hot water, or getting a bus/metro card - are deceptively challenging. In Buenos Aires, you don't just turn the button to get the oven going and you may have to go to several kioskos to get a Subte card. The driving is probably the worst, and most dangerous, that I've seen. The concept of 'pedestrians first' is completely foreign! Even when it's your turn to cross, you still have to be careful. In contrast, however, there are more jaywalkers here than anywhere else that I've been too, and there is no need to worry about getting a ticket from the cops! 

It may sound like I'm complaining, but I'm not. Buenos Aires is a great city, with many quirks! The people may seem reversed at first, but once you talk to them, there are quite friendly and curious. Ultimately, Buenos Aires has a charm that rubs on you.




No comments:

Post a Comment