May 30, 2013

Buenos Aires Must-Do: A Tango Lesson...

...or 2, or 5, or 10!

Coming to Buenos Aires, my tango knowledge was limited to the clichés usually shown in movies: the man with sleeked back hair and a rose in his mouth (what about those thorns?!), and the woman in a fitted black dress and fishnet stockings.

Hmm, maybe I need to stop watching cheesy movies! As far as I know, the only part they got right is the sleeked out hair...

On my very first week in Buenos Aires, I was introduced to tango through a group class. But it wasn't until I went to a milonga (sort of a tango dance hall as well as a tango sub-genre) that I thought 'I want to do that!'  That refers to the magic that happens when a woman enters the close embrace of a man and closes her eyes as she is about to be taken on a voyage across the dance floor through intricate footsteps and melancholic music. Tango is so hot!

Group classes are great to start, but to really dive into the world of tango, I think it's best to go for private lessons. After asking around, I was put in contact with an instructor who works well with principiantes (beginners) like me. Because tango is not just about the steps, you see; it is about the history, the musicality, the lyrics and the emotions in the voice of the cantate. And to fully appreciate tango for what it is, one must understand those different aspects and incorporate them in each movement that the body makes. I'm not quite there yet, but I sure am on my way!

I didn't come to Buenos Aires with the intention of learning tango. At best, I thought I would go see a show that are put together for tourists like me.  But here I am now, searching for milongas back home, so that when I come back, I don't waste time and go straight from the airport to the tango dance floor!

Oh, and did I mention that women's tango shoes are TO DIE FOR!? ;)
City-wide tango competition.

No comments:

Post a Comment