August 30, 2013

Travelling Dissonance

How do you reconcile two seemingly opposite ideas? That of travelling to no end with that of having a home base life. I am currently single, so picking up and go as I please is relatively easy. But I don't necessarily want to remain single for the sake of travelling. I want to meet that special someone with whom I will want to build a relationship, share the many life experiences ahead of us and grow old with.

As much as I hate 'what ifs', they usually find a way to creep up in my mind:

  • what if I never meet someone because of my insatiable need for travel?
  • what if I meet someone special, only to leave him behind because of an upcoming trip? Then what? Is it over? Do we try to make it work? What if he doesn't see it the way I do? Do I cancel my trip for a chance at romance?
  • what if he doesn't like to travel and/or isn't supportive of my wanderlust?
And the list goes on...

About a week ago, the news of a travel blogger who committed suicide made its round in social media. Her last post really hit home for me. While it seemed like she was living the dream, her personal life was falling apart. Among other things, her long-time boyfriend left her, partly because he was not supportive of her life choices. The last question she raised in her article has crossed my mind numerous times: 'as a traveler, am I destined to be alone?'

Or is it possible to have it all? 

When I told my friends about my trip to Argentina, one of them asked 'what if you meet someone between now and the time you leave?' Though I thought it was very unlikely, I replied: 'Well, one thing for sure is that I am not changing my plans and hopefully, if he is worth it, we will be able to make it work. I'll only be gone for 3 months.' Sure enough, I met someone! I took some time before telling him about my plans, because I wanted to see where this thing was going. When I did tell him, he didn't take it as well as I had hoped. I told him that I wanted to try to make it work and make the most of the time I was still in town, but he didn't see it that way. Granted, we only had been dating for a short period of time, but this whole situation really affected me and got me thinking.

What is most important for me? Travelling the world or the sense of stability? What kind of traveler am I or do I want to be? Do I really want to only travel solo? What would be the best compromise? To meet a fellow avid traveler?

I don't have the answer to any of those questions and I'm not sure where trying to answer them starts. Because the truth is, sometimes, travelling raises questions other than where to go next and when to purchase the ticket. I don't know that I am courageous enough to make the same sacrifices as have the many travel bloggers I admire.

I'm asking a lot of questions here, if you want to suggest answers, by all means, please do so! Let's start a discussion!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment