June 18, 2013

When Long-Term Travelling Comes To an End

I decided to end my journey in Buenos Aires with a trip to Colombia. Because  somewhere during my last month I realized that I wasn't quite ready to go back home just yet, but I was ready to move on to another location.

Why Colombia?

1) When I was in Chile, I met several people travelling around South America  and almost all of them said that Colombia was their favorite country.
2)It was the cheapest flight out of Buenos Aires and to Montreal (gotta watch that budget!)
3)I was very curious about this country, so I thought, while I'm on the continent, I might as well check it out.

And, so far, so good. I am in Medellìn right now, and I'm really liking it. The landscape is breathtaking.

But I must come to the realization that this mini-retirement is coming to an end very soon. I try not to think further than the next day, but at the same time I can't help but think 'what's next?'  It goes without saying that a next trip is in the plans, but where and when exactly, I'm not sure. And what will I do between now and then?

Some will be quick to say that it's time for me to come back to 'reality'. The way I see it, this is reality. My reality. Just because I don't wake up Monday to Friday at the same time to go to a job that doesn't necessarily fulfill me, and then spend my weekends desperately trying to 'enjoy' myself by spending all the money I worked so hard to earn during the week, it doesn't mean that what I'm doing is not reality.  After all, I've seen,done and felt things, met people, talked with them, laugh and argued with them. I had to solve problems, I had good days and bad days. I constantly had to push my boundaries and was forced out of my comfort zone. Isn't that the gist of living? And when I get back home, I'll be doing the exact same thing, except with people I know, and in a familiar setting.

So for now, I must take in each and every moment, because sooner than I am willing to realize, this trip with be a memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment