May 15, 2013

Yo Quiero Santiago!

Following my short stay in Mendoza, I decided to make my way to Santiago de Chile, which was a short 10 hours 'bus' ride (it was really a van and I was sitting next to the driver!). The ride  was quite nice, 'zig-zagging' our way on the edges of the Andes. Arriving at the bus terminal in Santiago, I was a bit skeptical, I almost asked the driver  if we had arrived to Santiago...I don't really know what I was expecting, but it was 'this'! I took a cab to my hostel, which was perfectly located in the Bellas Artes neighborhood, a neighborhood that I quickly fell in love with. The hostel was big, clean and well-decorated.

Checked-in, checked the dorm, and went out to familiarize myself with the neighborhood...and get some grub! As I was walking around, I noticed two things: 1)Santiago is a very nice city and 2) it is clean, so clean! I don't want to throw shade at Buenos Aires, but in Santiago the sidewalks were even and free of dog poo or any other form of lither. The metro (subway) is graffiti-free and spacious. The architecture is amazing, with the European influence clearly palpable.

But what really made fall in love with Santiago was the people I met, both Chileans and expats. I found the Chileans to be friendly and welcoming, with an off-color sense of humor that can throw off a non-Chilean. I met people from all over the world. What surprised me the most was how like-minded we all were, regardless of our country of origin. I had some of the most interesting and challenging conversations with people I may never see again. But at least I'll remember the way I felt in their presence.

It was strongly suggested that I go spend a day in Valparaiso, a coastal city 2 hours away from Santiago. So I did! It is known for the colourful houses that covers the cerros (hills) and the many funiculars use to get on top of those hills. But what I loved the most was the street art! It definitely adds character of the city. If you go for a day, arrive early to really enjoy it, otherwise I suggest staying at least two days.








Overall, after just a few days, Santiago now occupies a big place in my heart. I will definitely go back to Chile one day, and explore the rest of the country and what it has to offer. Also, I learned to not judge a city by the way its bus terminal looks like!






Tip: The free walking tours in Santiago and Valparaiso are the best way to know those cities.

No comments:

Post a Comment