July 26, 2013

Querida Colombia!

First and foremost, it's ColOmbia, not ColUmbia! The Colombians will thank you for not misspelling the name of their country!

As I have mentioned in a previous post, Colombia was not originally part of my recent travel plans. But fate would have it otherwise, and I am so happy I went. I can't wait to go back! As a Colombia newbie, I thought it would be best to hit the 3 most popular cities (based on an unofficial poll): Bogota, Medellin and Cartagena.

First up, Bogota. I was fortunate enough to have met someone while in Buenos Aires who offered me shelter in Bogota. I stayed near Zona Rosa, which has many bars, coffeeshops, restaurants and upscale boutiques. I felt safe walking around in the daytime, though there had been reports of recent crimes occurrences (i.e. robbery gone bad), so I did not venture out at night alone. I had amazing culinary experiences at a tapas and Mexican restaurants. And Old Bogota is nice too! I went to the Botero and the Gold Museums.




Word of caution: if you think hailing a taxi is easy in Bogota, think again. When you hail a cab, the driver will ask your destination before you get in. If it's not on his way, he won't take you. I learned this the hard way...during rush hour!

Sunday is a nice day to be Bogota. It is the perfect day to go for a run or a bike ride, thanks to Ciclovia! For a substantial part of the day, some of the major streets are closed to cars and opened to pedestrians wanting to workout. This is a great way to promote healthy habits, but it also causes a major headaches for drivers! If you're more in the mood to spend money, there's always the Usaquen Market, where local artisans come to sell their crafts. Unfortunately for me (but fortunately for my wallet!), I only dashed through the market, as I had to catch my flight to...

...Medellin! What a change in scenery (and weather) from Bogota that was! The drive from the airport was both amazing and (stomach) upsetting, swirling down the mountains to get to the valley where the city rests. The history of Medellin is very rich, and I learned quite a lot thanks to a walking tour I did. Among other things, I learned that people of Medellin are very proud of their heritage, so much so that they will say they are from Medellin before saying they are from Colombia!




Final stop, Cartagena! One of the main reason why I wanted to visit the city was for the beach and the Caribbean Sea. I just wanted to lie on a sandy beach with clear blue water nearby. But I got so much more out of my visit. First, and most importantly, I met a girl who took me under her wing! On the days we spent together, we did all kinds of activities, including acro-yoga and biking on the old-city wall! She told me about life in Cartagena, whether you are rich or poor, white or of African descent. She was very receptive to my questions and was happy to help me discover her part of the world. On the days that she was not available to hang out, she arranged must-do activities for me: Playa Blanca and a mud bath in the Totumo volcano. I don't want to play favorite, but Cartagena was definitely the highlight of this trip!



Overall, my experience in Colombia was very positive! The people are very friendly and welcoming, and there is something for everyone! The Colombians are very aware of the reputation the country has around the world (violence and cocaine), and so they are genuinely grateful that more and more foreigners come and visit. In fact, I was thanked on several occasions for being in Colombia! 

So go ahead, go to Colombia! You won't regret it!

No comments:

Post a Comment