May 17, 2013

Buenos Aires Must-Do: Puertas Cerradas

The vibrant city of Buenos Aires has more than just tango on its 'must-do' list! In my humble opinion, anyone who calls her or himself a foodie and wants to eat something other than steak or pasta will want to try a puertas cerradas, which translates as 'closed doors'. The clandestine-sounding concept is really simple: a few nights a week, a group of selected few gets the opportunity to eat at a chef's home.  This gives for an intimate setting and a chance to actually meet and talk to the maestro behind the delicious home-cooked (literally!) meals.

I had the opportunity to go to Cocina Sunae, which offers a blend of Southeast Asian menu. Everything was on point: the setting, the staff and, most importantly, the food. I hadn't had Asian food since arriving in Argentina, so it was important that this meal meets my expectation. And in actuality, my expectations were exceeded! 


Ensalada Talong with plantain chips

Dessert: Halo Halo
As a main course, I had the Pad Thai, which I did not take a picture of because I was too busy devouring it! The menu changes weekly and is posted on their website.

There is a puertas cerradas for every type of cuisine: French, Mexican, Middle-Eastern...you name it, there's a puertas cerradas for it! A quick Google search or word of mouth is the best way to find one.

If my days were not numbered in Buenos Aires, I would definitely go back, but at this point, I would prefer trying another one.



No comments:

Post a Comment